Recently I’ve been feeling pretty bored in the kitchen. It happens every now and then where I feel like I’ve rinsed every recipe I own and I’m out of fresh ideas! So when i discovered HelloFresh had just launched their new Flavour Generator really, I had nothing to lose.

The idea is that you select the Origin of the food you like most or would like to cook, from the drop down menu on the website. There is a choice of five, Indian, Mexican, British, Italian and middle eastern… this time I chose Italian (we’re big fans in this house) and I was really craving something pretty heavy on the carbs!! Next up you choose your flavour, again there is a choice of five, Spicy, Herby, Sweet, Tangy or something you’ve never tried, today we chose Sweet, something a bit different for us.

After you have made your selections, a recipe is generated for you to try, but don’t worry there are a few to choose from and if you don’t like what you were shown you can ‘spin ‘ the generator again and hope for something more your taste.

The generator then gives you a recipe, including all the ingredients you need, the method and times etc. plus the option to cook for either two people or four, which really is mega handy as I always struggle to alter set recipes to accommodate my dinner guests.

As it was just Wren and I, I set about making our Baked Risotto with Brail Nut Pesto with the recipe for two. I measured out everything we would need and organized my counter, as I’m one of those folk that can’t stand mess in the kitchen, specially when I’m cooking (it’s why my husband is rarely let loose in here) I began following the method and it was perfectly set out – really easy to understand, nothing too complicated and I managed to get it all done whilst Wren was still awake and occupied with her toys! Win win!!

The risotto only took 20 minutes to cook in the oven and the pesto was so easy to make from scratch that I think I’ll stop buying the jars and just make my own!   I gave the pesto a blast in a blender instead of the noted ‘stir’ to get it nice and smooth for Wren, and OMG it was so tasty!

The added goats cheese on top brings the whole dish together and let me tell you, I felt like I had actually paid for the dish in a restaurant when I tried it! The plan was to have it for Dinner that evening, but it was so good, we had it for lunch too!

You can check out the food boxes HelloFresh supply here and have a shot at their Flavour Generator here. I really, honestly encourage you to do so, whether you’re trying to impress a loved one of a date, feeding the fam or entertaining your pals. These recipes are easy enough to master but tasty enough to impress!

Sx

16 Comments

1. August 15, 2017 / 7:30 pm

This is such a good idea. I’m really struggling with cooking at the minute – in my head I can’t justify the time spent on it instead of working, so I basically just eat Quavers. Something else for me to work on 🙈. However, thanks for introducing this to me, looks like it will be really useful for my weird head! x

• sarahcolvine
      August 17, 2017 / 11:20 am

I think it would be so useful for you!! The recipe was really easy and didn’t take that long at all! Perfect for your busy wee head! 😉 Sx

2. August 15, 2017 / 7:42 pm

Oh this is so great! We actually had an Italian week in our household last week, cooked italian dinner every day and I wish I knew this app, we could find some fresh inspiration! Some dishes we made were great but some rather boring. Also, it seems like they have all the cuisines I like, what a match!

• sarahcolvine
      August 17, 2017 / 11:31 am

You’ll love it!! Plenty for special diets too! 🙂 Sx

3. Patricia
    August 15, 2017 / 7:59 pm

Ah, this is a good idea – I’m not one of those cooks who can just improvise a delicious meal (unlike Pierangelo) and am a terrible one for just using the same four recipes over and over again – seems like a great nudge to try something new

• sarahcolvine
      August 17, 2017 / 11:30 am

it was the nudge i needed to get out of my cooking rut!! Calum isn’t allowed in my kitchen ususally! Sx

• sarahcolvine
      August 17, 2017 / 11:29 am

I certainly think so!! I can’t wait to try some more!! Sx

4. August 15, 2017 / 8:34 pm

Well this sounds great and definitely something we could benefit from trying out ourselves. That risotto looks delicious. We’re big fans of Hello Fresh in our house, but not ordered from them in a while – so this has given me a nudge 🙂 x

• sarahcolvine
      August 17, 2017 / 11:28 am

I’ve got the family box coming next week i was that impressed! Can’t wait to see the recipes!! Sx

5. August 15, 2017 / 9:00 pm

It sounds as though your meal time was a lot more successful than mine tonight. Literally threw 90% of it in the bin 🙈 I fall in and out of love with cooking too. I’m fairly certain that if I lived on my own, I’d survive in a diet of hummus and toast xx

• sarahcolvine
      August 17, 2017 / 11:28 am

Oh so would i!! Along with wine, cheese and salt and vinegar squares!! Sx

6. August 16, 2017 / 4:16 am

I never tried Hello Fresh but I can’t deny that after this post I feel very tempted. I am a disaster in the kitchen and I have nightmares when I think that I am cooking for my guests. Usually I find a way to buy everything or to put someone to cook in my place. After this post I feel more brave to try.
    Thank you!

• sarahcolvine
      August 17, 2017 / 11:27 am

Oh you should. It would make you feel like a 5* chef!! Sx

7. Alice
    August 16, 2017 / 5:13 pm

I’ve been so curious to try Hello Fresh ! It might be the perfect solution for any busy mama. I guess my husband would be happy, too, and stop complaining about my lack of skills in the kitchen haha !!

• sarahcolvine
      August 17, 2017 / 11:27 am

Oh i think they’re pretty full proof!! I’ve got one of the big boxes coming in too so i hope there are some equally as delicious recipes in there! Sx