It’s okay, Not to be okay

It’s okay, Not to be okay

Hi friends, welcome to my first post on my new blog.  Please forgive me as i had no plan to post this until this morning when things started to kick off.  Let me just begin by saying, parenting is hard.  Like, really hard, and today has pushed me to the limit.  Poor Wren is smack bang in the middle of one of those glorious development leaps were her emotions are all over the place, she’s feeling things she doesn’t understand and to top it off, the little bug is getting over a mother F***er of a virus.  Now, during these times of course she gets every ounce of my sympathy, love and care, that goes without saying.  But, at the end of the day when your little is bundled in bed, clean, cosy and dreaming, you can sometimes feel like you’re going to fall to bits.  You’ve kept your shit together all day long and now that you’re on your own or you’re sat with your partner the slightest thing could cause a colossal eruption from your eye holes.  Sometimes, the slightest thing could literally be nothing, the pampers advert for example could set you into complete meltdown.  And let me just tell you, that’s okay.

Today, when it all got too much, i sent an SOS message to my girls, my mums, the gang i joined when i was pregnant, and i asked for help.  Immediately they messaged me back, empathised, related and sent encouraging words of either wisdom or support.  Now, tell me that’s not amazing? They didn’t judge, they’ve been there.  They didn’t ignore me, they know how anxiety in parenting works.  They were just there, not in person but in words.  Almost straight away i felt so.much.better.  I can do this, it’s all going to be fine, and if it isn’t, then there is wine and friends and Ryan Reynolds (Praise Jesus)

The fact i sent a message and asked for help IS OKAY, for anyone to ask for help, for whatever reason, parent or not, is okay! I, will be eternally grateful to my ‘Mama gang’ My Wats App group that takes form of the parenting gospel, these girls are something special and i do not know what i would do without them!

I love you guys!

Sx

13 Comments

1. Abi
    July 19, 2017 / 6:59 pm

I’m 27 and about to become a mum for the first time in October and safe to say I’m absolutely shitting it!! But reading this on your blog makes me feel like it’s okay to be shitting myself, and I’ll be just fine!! So thank you, keep being amazing!

• sarahcolvine
      July 19, 2017 / 7:18 pm

You will be incredible! It’s so important to surround yourself with people who will support you! Finding those online as well as in real time is just as important! Sx

2. Claire
    July 19, 2017 / 7:21 pm

Love this Sarah, I get you totally. Unfortunately I struggle to ask for help, it’s never come easy to me but it’s something I really need to team to do! X

• Claire
      July 19, 2017 / 7:21 pm

Learn to do rather!

• sarahcolvine
        July 19, 2017 / 7:22 pm

I used to suck at it too, But in the long run, it’s so much better for everyone to just ask! 🙂 Sx

3. July 19, 2017 / 7:40 pm

A very well timed post – I’ve had a tough month or so with my 2yo in the wake of chicken pox which sent everything spiralling off on a kilter I was not prepared for (most notably on the sleep front which we’d only just made some headway with, now we’re back to square one and it’s a bit of a killer). I’ve been useless at asking for help so a little reminder to do so in future was much needed. Thank you!

• sarahcolvine
      July 19, 2017 / 7:46 pm

If atleast one more person asks for help through reading this post, i’ll be a happy woman! I hope you get some respite soon. I can’t imagine how tough that must be, sleep is soooo precious! Sx

4. July 19, 2017 / 8:12 pm

Wonderful post Sarah. You are absolutely right about saying it’s ok not to be ok, and say it aloud!
    You need to be gentle yourself, ask for help, say it’s hard when you feel hard, because being a mum is bloody hard! I went through that and it is still hard. (mine is four now)
    My girl was born with severe and very rare eye condition called Peter’s Anomaly (basically blind) and heart defect, so our start was really tough. Even just a normal start of having a first baby itself without my parents around (they are in Japan) was hard enough as you know, so on the top of that we were absolutely devastated. So many hospital trips, so many major operations, I did not have time to mingle with other mums simply we’re just bloody busy and I felt quite lonely.
    If I’ve heard your voice at that time, that would have helped me enjoy more of bringing up my girl when she was much little, which I think I missed a bit as I was so wrapped up with difficulty and just surviving each day.
    I’ve blogged about it six months after her birth, when I first opened up my feeling to the public. The support I received was wonderful and helped me to feel it’s ok to talk about it when you need it. Thankfully now my girl is doing really well (and she can see things!) and I enjoy everyday being a mum.
    Your words need to be spread every mothers!

• sarahcolvine
      July 20, 2017 / 8:26 am

Thank you for sharing such a lovely and open comment Maki, what a tough thing for you to go through right at the start of you baby’s life. I hope she is thriving now and you don’t have those lonely feelings anymore! Lots of love xx

5. July 19, 2017 / 8:16 pm

aw this is such an honest post and it’s so good that you’ve got such a supportive mummy network. I’m sure you’re doing a wonderful job but there’s nothing wrong with asking for help.
    all the best x

• sarahcolvine
      July 20, 2017 / 8:26 am

Thanks Katie, Thanks for stopping by 🙂 Sx

6. carly
    July 20, 2017 / 12:04 am

Sarah this is amazing after a long day with a toddler and a 6year old, feeling like a referee one running one way the other another. Feeling like I’m useles. Once they got to bed had a little scream into my pillow. But we power threw and we do the best we can. Us mums rock. We r all doing amazing jobs how ever we cope/manage and askING for help or little wise words is the best medicine I think.

• sarahcolvine
      July 20, 2017 / 8:27 am

Oh Carly, I hope today is better for you!! It’s really tough sometimes, we do rock and we’re doing the best we can 🙂 Sx