I've been using Young Living Essential Oils for around 5 months now. After watching and hearing from a dear friend how brilliant and versatile they are for using around the home, in cooking and for health and wellbeing, i decided to give them a go. And I wont be stopping. Young Living has allowed us to live a little slower, a lot less harsh, by eliminating potentially harmful products from our home, and more simply, as i'm about to tell you about here.
I decided that i wanted my maternity leave to be fulfilling and as productive as i felt was enough. I wanted to cook more, bake more and take a little more time with my day, as when Calum is away i need to find things to do to fill my time. Part of this has been researching which products we feel are right for us and for the baby throughout the pregnancy and beyond. I decided i wanted to have a bash at making some of my own, as i've read so many articles, testimonials and Pinterest blogs on the things people make at home with their oils.
First on my list, has been this cream; a cream for Bump, to moisturise my skin and keep the marks at bay (which has worked so far) for Boobs, as any pregnant or breast feeding mum will know, they can be our own worst enemy during this time; and lastly Bums... not mine, but Baby's. A natural and soothing cream to help moisturise and care for nappy rash, dry skin or eczema.
First of all, oil obviously isn't the only ingredient that goes into this cream, you need some extras for the 'cream' component. I sourced most of this from Amazon, making sure it's Organic and Food grade, meaning that it's safe to ingest.
For one large Jar (ikea swing top) of Cream you'll need.
Beeswax - One Bar
Shea Butter - 200g
Cocoa Butter - 120g
Coconut Oil - 2 Table Spoons
Almond Oil - 1 Tea Spoon
Vitamin E - 1 Tea Spoon
Lavender Oil - 10-15 drops
(I used Peace and Calming too, but whichever you think, e.g Gentle Baby would also work)
- Melt the Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil and Beeswax together in a pan on a high heat. Being careful not to burn or boil.
- Add in your drops of oil
- Once oils have combined and are all completely melted stick in a bowl and put in the fridge for around 1-2 hours.
- Remember this is hot oil so be super careful when you're carrying it!!!!
- After a couple of hours remove from the fridge and the oils should now be cool and soft.
- Using a hand mixer on medium speed, begin to whisk up your oils.
- Add in your vitamin E and Almond Oil.
- Keep whisking until your mixture makes soft peaks and looks white and creamy.
- Be careful not to to whisk too hard or for too long as the mixture can stiffen and curdle slightly.
- Store in an air tight jar, and keep in a cool dry place.
There we have it, a nice big jar of multi purpose cream for Mama and Baby. Saving money, space and completely free of any nasty add ins.
Has anyone got any other tips for using their oils at home? Do you have any recipes you'd like to share?
I hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine as much as me and my swollen feet.