You may have seen that whilst Calum was away it was his Birthday, it’s about the 3rd he’s missed in a row, so i decided that he’d need a pretty big cake for when he got home. i don’t think he was expecting it to be quite so big however…
He requested a Chocolate, Nutella/Bueno Cake, which i had never heard of before in my puff. So i did a bit of research and decided to go with a plain Chocolate sponge, which Nutella Butter Cream icing, decorated with Bueno… he had to be happy with that right?
For two Plain Chocolate Sponges you’ll need :
6oz/170g unsalted butter, softened
6oz /170g caster sugar
4oz/115g self-raising flour or plain flour with a teaspoon of baking powder
3 large egg
2oz/ 55g cocoa powder, not drinking chocolate
pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 190c/170c fan or gas mark 5. Grease and line two 20cm sandwich tins.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and mix until creamy and lighter in colour, using a spoon, hand held mixer or frestanding mixer.
- Sieve the cocoa, flour and salt into a bowl and crack one of the eggs into a cup or ramekin. Stiring all the time, add the egg and a third of the flour mixture into the sugar and butter, add the second egg and third of the flour and add the last egg and flour mixture in to the butter and sugar. You should have a smooth thick batter. If your batter is sift, add a splash of milk and stir.
- Put even amounts of the mixture into the tins and spread using a knife. Put into the oven and bake for 25 minutes until springy to touch. Take out of the oven at leave them in their tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
I let my sponges cool, and left them overnight before icing them the next morning. I wasn’t sure if a butter cream with Nutella would melt in the heat we’ve been having so decided it would be safer for the day Calum was home. In hindsight, i think i’d ice the same day if i made it again, as i found (my sponges atleast) to be quite dry… maybe too much cocoa powder? Who knows, but for that reason, we served with Double Cream… purely to wet it a bit.
For Nutella Butter Cream You’ll Need :
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3½ – 4 Icing sugar, sifted
½ cup Nutella
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons half-and-half, heavy cream or whole milk
pinch of salt
- Cream together butter and ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar at a time. After each cup of sugar has been added, add Nutella 1 tablespoon at a time, then add vanilla and then beat on high for about 20 seconds to lighten the frosting.
- Add half-and-half, one tablespoon at a time until the buttercream has reached a consistency where it will hold it’s shape. Add pinch of salt and whip on high for a final 20 seconds.
I’d be lying if i said we managed to finish the cake this week, but it’s for certain that every morning there were less and less of the topping… in the end, we ate what we could and the rest was bound to the bin. Maybe i’ll just do two layers next time!
Happy Saturday Everyone